Thursday, 9 December 2010

Coalition Impose Huge Fees Increase In England; Helps Overseas Students

Thanks to the Lib Dem / Tory coalition government, should my son decide to study at, say, Reading or Oxford University, he will face fees of up to £9,000 a year which when added to other living costs could mean at the end of his degree course he may have debts of £40,000 or more.

Should my Welsh nephew come to study with my son on the same course at the same time, the Welsh Assembly Government will cap his fees at £3,200, so reducing his overall burden by almost £18,000.

And should both my son and his Welsh cousin decide to study in Cardiff or Swansea instead, the same would apply - my nephew would face far lower fees than my son.

This is all so unnecessary. When I chose to go to university, my fees were paid and I even had access to a small grant, which I subsidised with temporary work. In return, I have paid more income tax through my working life than most of those I went to school with. In a civilised society, this is how I thought it would be.

Now, many would be students from modest backgrounds will turn away from the idea of a university education, and the Lib Dems and Tories will have had their way.

Then again, David Cameron did say in China last month that the sharp hike in university tuition fees in England would allow them to hold down charges to overseas students.

(photo: FreeFoto.com)

No comments: