Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Fighting For Redlands

Tony Jones: Local resident with huge experience
Redlands Labour Party has selected me to be their candidate at the May 2012 council elections.

I have lived here in Redlands Ward in Morgan Road for over 15 years, with my wife Liz and three children.

Some will remember that I represented Redlands Ward as a councillor during the 1990s. In that time I was instrumental in winning Government funds for a major regeneration of the Hexham Estate that included the building of the popular Hexham Community Centre and children’s play area, as well as helping to win important traffic safety improvements.

I also led the highly successful campaign which opened up over 500 empty homes across the town.

My community roles have included being a school governor and serving on the university council. As Mayor of Reading, I raised a record-breaking sum of money for local children in need and other charities.

I am grateful to Redlands Labour Party for giving me this chance to work alongside Jan Gavin. Since she was elected last May Jan has shown what a difference a Labour councillor can make to an area. I trust my energy and experience will continue to build on her good work for the benefit of all residents in Redlands.

With 28 weeks to go to election day I know that I'm in for a tough fight. But we managed to pull off a magnificent victory last year and there is no reason, with a lot of hard work, we can't do the same again in 2012.

2011 Result in Redlands
Labour 1,295 votes
Lib Dem 757
Cons 526
Green 345

More about me here.

No comments: